Today on Ramya’s Reading List, I cover Matthew William’s “Night Vision,” Pusha T’s Wrath of Caine mixtape, Complex’s interview with JMSN, and more! Hit the jump for what’s hot in today’s popular culture.
1. A Vman exclusive, “Night Vision” is a 54 second clip that draws from militant inspiration. Styled by Tom Guinness, the clip features this season’s popular trend– masks. In this case, the masks were fashioned from military inspiration, offering an an already extreme male superiority complex. The clip was directed by Matthew Williams, who is set to direct some pretty incredible projects for #Been #Trill and DONDA this year. Check out the video below! [Vman]
2. Wrath of Caine was one of the most anticipated mixtapes of 2013. It serves as a prelude to Pusha T’s upcoming LP, My Name Is My Name. For this mixtape, King Push looked up to some of his close friends, like French Montana, Rick Ross, and Harry Fraud, and some newcomers, like Troy Ave and Travis Scott. The intro is a fiery rant inspired by Pusha’s Jamaican roots and is indicative of this solid mixtape. Download HERE. [ThisGoesIn]
3. JMSN a 26 year-old singer-songwriter who is the leading engineer for his musical style, “hippie r&b.” Working closely with Kendrick Lamar and Ab-Soul, this Detroit-native has a developed quite a unique sound, making his Priscilla album one of the most anticipated of 2013. Check out his self-directed video for “Something” below. Warning: It’s pretty trippy. [Complex]
4. Hot 97 sponsors Kids These Days performance with Smoke DZA. I remember when I introduced Kids These Days to Karlie Hustle when I interned at Hot 97. Having Rosenburg’s support, I knew it was a matter of time until this happened! I first found out about Kids These Days from my roommate, who went to high school with Macie and some of the other members of the band. Definitely check them out! [DJJuanyto]
5. Lil B disses Joey Bada$$. The two have been going at in since Joey quoted Capital Steez’s line, “Tell Lil B don’t quit his day job.” Lil B released this diss tract almost immediately after. Will Joey respond with his own diss track? I think we can all agree who’s side we’re on. Check out the diss below!